Academic Catalog 2023-2024


Transfer Credit Prior To Matriculation

Transfer credit is granted for courses that are appropriate to the program curriculum at Pratt. Only a grade of C or higher from a school accredited by an accrediting agency or state approval agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education or the international equivalent, and only a numeric evaluation of 70 or higher from international institutions, will be considered accep­table for transfer to the Pratt record. Grades of lower than C (including C-) or less than 70 are not acceptable for transfer credit evaluation. Institutions accredited by the New York State Board of Regents will be individually evaluated, and credits will be awarded according to articulation agreements.

Credits may be awarded for courses in which

  1. a grade of C or higher is earned from domestic institutions (or 70 or higher from international institutions as determined by an official international credit evaluation service) and
  2. the courses correspond to the specific course require­ments of the applicant’s program of study.

Grades lower than C (including C-) or less than 70 are not transferable. Grades of transfer credit are not included in the GPA.

Students seeking transfer credits for studio courses in art, design, or architecture are required to submit a portfolio reflective of their studio course­work completed in a prior institution as part of the admission application.

International students may be required to submit additional class hour documentation to determine a U.S. semester hour equivalency or have their credentials of international credit hours evaluated by an official inter­national credit evaluations service. Pratt accepts international credit evaluation from any member of the National Association of Credit Evaluation Services (NACES).

Transfer Credit For AP, IB, and CLEP Examinations

Pratt accepts up to 9 credits for Advanced Place­ment (AP) with a score of four or five. Pratt accepts the International Baccalaureate (IB) Higher Level with a score of five or greater if the student has earned their IB diploma (details are presented in the Admissions Section). Credit may also be awarded for College Level Equivalency Program (CLEP) tests with acceptable scores. Only tests taken prior to matriculation at Pratt will be considered.

Credit evaluations will be comple­ted only after accept­ance. Students petitioning for transfer credit(s) must submit to the Admissions Office an official transcript from each college attended prior to enrollment. Additional transcripts will not be accepted for transfer credit evalu­ation after the beginning of the student’s first semester at Pratt. Accepted students who seek AP, IB, or CLEP credit must submit official copies of score reports to the Admissions Office prior to enrollment.

Prior to registration, the transfer student receives an estimate by the Office of Admissions of the credit that can be expected for work done at previous college(s). Additional documents may be requested by the Office of Admissions (bulletin, course hours, syllabi, etc.) in order to complete the estimated evaluation. Deposited students should mail all education records to the Office of the Registrar. After all final transcripts have been received, a complete evaluation of transfer credit will be sent to the student.

Transfer Credit After Matriculation

Baccalaureate Programs

After initial matriculation, students may earn up to 6 credits at another accredited institution if approved by the department chair. Studio courses must have the approval of the chair of the student’s program. Liberal arts courses must have the approval of the appropriate department chair in the School of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Students who leave Pratt (either by taking a leave of absence or by withdrawing) and take courses at other institutions should be mindful of this limit.

The type of credit to be received at Pratt must be specified in advance on the permission form. To be accepted for transfer credit, the course must be recognized for credit by the other accredited institution and must be passed with a grade no lower than C. A grade of C- is not acceptable for transfer purposes. Final grades of all transferred credits are not included in the GPA.

Associate Programs

After initial matriculation, students may earn up to 3 credits from another accredited institution. The type of credit to be received at Pratt is specified in advance on the permission form and approved by the department chair.

Portfolio/Work Experience Credit

Based on previous work experience and/or portfolio, credit may be granted for undergraduate professional courses in the School of Architecture, School of Art, and School of Design. When applying for admission, the student should indicate his or her intention to seek credits for work experience. Students must submit the following documentation for credit consideration:

  • Résumé
  • Professional portfolio
  • Letters from employers detailing responsibilities and areas of expertise

To apply for portfolio/work experience credit, follow these steps:

  1. Petition in person at the office of the appropriate chair. You will be advised as to the feasibility of your request and given a Statement of Intent to be completed. You should keep a copy of the document and be sure another is in your permanent file.
  2. Present a copy of the Statement of Intent to the Registrar’s Office or Academic Department with a $100 deposit. The Office of the Registrar will give you an application form, which should be returned to that office after completion. When the entire process is complete, the Registrar’s Office will apply the deposit to a fee schedule of 30 percent of the regular per-credit tuition rate per credit evaluated.
  3. Submit documentation as described above to the appropriate departmental chair. Please allow one week for evaluation.
  4. Return the application with the proper authorization to the Office of the Registrar to complete the process. You will be billed accordingly. Payment is due upon billing. A maximum of 24 credits can be evaluated for those programs requiring fewer than 150 credits for graduation and up to 42 credits for those programs requiring more than 150 credits for graduation. Credits earned through this procedure are not included in the GPA. They will not count toward the Institute’s minimum residency requirement.